Tuesday, July 27, 2010

New Read - Major Pettigrew's Last Stand


It's not a novel written by a Victorian era author, but... before we start on Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë - our book group read for October - I thought I would explore other realms... possibly newer lands populated by contemporary people.

I began a book given to me by my sweet, book-loving sister-in-law that has been quite enjoyable so far. I am 5 chapters into Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (Random House) and ran across a wonderful quote -

"I can't believe you admire Samuel Johnson, Major," she said, laughing. "He seems to have been sorely lacking in the personal grooming department and he was always so rude to that poor Boswell."

"Unfortunately, there is often an inverse correlation between genius and personal hygiene," said the Major. "We would be sorely lacking if we threw out the greats with the bathwater of social niceties."

Excellent!


No comments:

Post a Comment